Women are underrepresented as leaders in almost all institutions across societies. The more powerful the role, the less likely a woman will occupy it — even in education, non-profit organizations, and other areas that are largely dominated by women. Masculine stereotypes of leadership can result in implicit bias against women leaders. These unconscious biases create substantial barriers against women who aspire to leadership positions.
Nevertheless, despite the challenges women leaders face, the gender leadership gap is a problem that can be solved. Acknowledging and challenging implicit bias, promoting professional sponsorship, encouraging flexible scheduling at work, and passing legislation to support women in the workplace are just a few of the ways to close the gender leadership gap.
Malaysia is committed to bringing more women onto corporate boards. This shows as the country’s gender gap improves and ranks 104 out of 144 countries globally, according to The Department of Statistics Malaysia (DOSM) ‘The Statistics on Women Empowerment in Selected Domains, Malaysia, 2018’. It scored 0.697 on the Malaysia Gender Gap Index (MGGI) based on the population in 2017 – an improvement from 2016’s score of 0.692 and indicating a gender gap of 0.303.
Women in Leadership Conference 2019 will be the place where women leaders discuss and share ideas and solutions on how to further advance society, increase equality between women and men and promote and positively develop the number of women in leadership positions. This program is designed to help elevate the impact of women leaders – enabling them to navigate the business landscape, develop and leverage their talents, and step into roles of greater influence.
• Hear cutting-edge ideas about leadership, and learn tried and tested techniques you can apply to overcome the unique challenges faced by women leaders.
• Develop greater confidence and a better understanding of your personal leadership style, enabling you to carry out and lead change effectively within your business.
• Gain valuable insights on how to build and nurture a diverse workforce and prepare women employees for their leadership roles of tomorrow.
• Seek advice from successful professionals to develop clear aims for your ongoing personal and professional development.
• Access a community of peers, women succeeding in senior leadership roles around the world.
Women in Leadership Conference 2019 offers delegates the opportunity to learn time-tested techniques and practical ideas which women can apply for an immediate impact on their career and organization, by focusing on the essential stages of the leadership journey and other substantial issues concerning women empowerment, as listed below:
• Women, Work and Wages: Closing the gender gap
• Fixing the Workplace, Not Women
• More Women in Leadership Roles — Why and how it should happen
• Interrelation between truth, trust and technology in the 21st century
• How to increase influence and ignite the impact of Women Leaders
• Case study on ensuring a mixed bag of talent for success
• Workplace Diversity: The need for equality in the boardrooms
• Reskilling-upskilling after a career comeback
• Modelling positive conflict communication
• Why understanding and leveraging social capital matters
This conference is especially designed for all current women leaders, aspiring women leaders and future women leaders, as well as the following:
• Directors, Executives and Managers across all industries
• Human Resources and Workforce Planning
• Diversity and Inclusion Managers
• Women’s Leadership Program Managers
• Male leaders looking to implement change on an organization level
From various corporate companies, private and government sectors, education institutions as well as any other establishments.